Thursday, October 3, 2013

Cell Phones are Bad for Business

I just got back from a trade show and, despite the hopes of the event organizers, here is my main takeaway: Cell Phones are Killing Your Business.

This event had about 150 exhibitors. At any given time, maybe one third of them were engaging attendees (which is the whole purpose of a trade show). To my shock (but alack, not surprise), about half of the people working the other tables were sitting there texting. OK, maybe they were checking emails, but you get the point. You can’t engage customers with your nose in your phone!

If I were to approach these people and ask why they were wasting their time and money (after all, they could text at home for free), I imagine they would make the following excuses…to which I offer some winning alternatives.

Them: I only text when there is on one at my booth.
Me: Guess what? If you keep texting no one will visit your booth. It’s Nonverbal Communication 101. Make eye contact. Smile. Engage!

Them: I was checking in with my boss.
Me: Your boss can wait. You have a limited window of opportunity at this networking event. Use it before it closes. Your boss will be there later. These people will not.

Them: There’s nothing else to do.
Me: Why not stand up (chairs, like cell phones, should be left in your car) and talk to the people at the booths near yours. Introduce yourself. Ask how business is. Learn something.

Yes we need to stay connected. But there is a time and a place, and the few hours you have to engage potential customers on the floor of a trade show is not one of them.

No comments: