Thursday, October 24, 2013

Bathroom Banksy: Proofing and Peeing

You just can’t escape poor punctuation.

While taking a recent “break,” in the men’s room, I looked up to see a few lyrics from a rock song scrawled on the wall in front of me. Not all that uncommon in a college bathroom.

The words were from The Outfield’s 1996 hit “Your Love." I am guessing our graffiti artist didn’t pay attention in writing class.

He wrote the first line of the song as follows:
“Josies on a vacation far away.”

Any grammar geek will notice the missing apostrophe in the first word faster than you can say “one-hit wonder.” Clearly, the contraction stands for “Josie IS on a vacation far away.” Still, our bathroom Banksy missed it and that leaves me in a dilemma.

The editor in me wants to pull out a red marker and correct the error, but would that make me a vandal as well? Who said proofing was easy?

No comments: