Sunday, September 28, 2008

Financial Freefall


Our county’s financial health is in serious trouble, so it amazes me that golden parachutes are one of the sticking points in the Wall Street bail-out debate. The democrat’s proposal to limit the compensation packages of Wall Street executives is meeting some serious opposition.

I disagree with both sides. While I am against padding the pockets of greedy executives, I equally oppose placing restrictions on their salaries. In fact, I oppose their salaries all together.

If anyone I know screwed up their job this badly, they wouldn’t be in negotiations; they’d be out on the street. Perhaps I am running with the wrong crowd, but most people I know would be hitting the bricks searching for new work.

I’m all for bailing out Wall Street, on one condition: We fire the CEOs who got us into this mess.

If you purchased a failing restaurant with the hopes of turning it around, I seriously doubt you’d keep the same manager and chef on staff. When you invest in potential it is essential to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I remember reading about a skydiver who ran into serious trouble when, during his descent, his main chute became tangled and would not open. Being a quick thinker, he prepared to open his auxiliary chute. Being a smart thinker, he realized that the only way his safety chute would open successfully was if he first cut away the malfunctioning parachute.

Our financial markets are in trouble and the best way to soften our landing is to cut away a few golden parachutes.




Add to Technorati Favorites



No comments: